Friday, March 26, 2010

"I Was a Ragamuffin Once"

Shreveport, La - This is a poem I originally wrote June 22, 2005 while resting in my bunk at Wind River Ranch in Estes Park, Colorado. I never published it - until now.

"I Was a Ragamuffin Once"
By Winston A. Hall
I was a ragamuffin once
upon a childhood tide
floating and toting the essence of innocence
and doubting not my place in the world.
To bear the cross, the grace no less
of a season born of freedom
To scale limb by limb, onward toward the sky
and then to perch among the banded wings about me and breathe.
I was a ragamuffin once
against a guilded sky
and toward them gazing on eternity.
Knowing but not seeing my God
amidst the hues and painted in the sky.
And then, to plunge into the deep waters
from on high , and oh the exhiliration of stepping out
and falling only so far and rising through the bubbles
always looking toward the light.
I was a ragamuffin once
with feet so scarred and scraped
by missteps and miscues amid thorns
and etched with stone and moss.
And still this day, when
clocks tick on and I, I the aging vessel dream,
I see myself there in that place of shade and stream.
For I, I was a ragamuffin once
young and alone with time to only be.
Soon I will return again - home.
Ang again I will be free.

That's the story of my life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.net