Saturday, September 02, 2006

Star Date 2006: Phoenix to Albequeque...Albuqueque... Albiquirkie...Albakirky...Albaquir...New Mexico

Phoenix, Az - I awoke in Phoenix to discover some really beautiful scenery out Bob's back window of his soon-to-be-sold house. Phoenix looks a lot like I imagined. Very deserty. We started the day with a good solid breakfast, just like grandpa always did, and then proceeded to the nearby Budget Truck rental store. We rented a sturdy workhorse of a truck which I promptly named Bobby the Boxcar. I did that of course, in case I wanted to leverage this trip into some sort of children's book series about the lives of adolescent italian mob members, i.e. Bobby the Boxcar "gets his oil changed."

But I digress. We loaded Bobby up in 106 degree temps, which felt like 93 degrees does in Texas. It was warm, but not hot. I then proceeded, at approx. 3:33 p.m., toward the mountains, and into travel lore forever.

My first leg carried my through some amazing scenery: Phoenix to Peyson. If you have never been to northern Arizona I highly encourage it. Bear in mind, that if you are driving a loaded moving van up a 7 percent grade for, oh I don't know six consecutive miles that it could, hypothetically overheat..several times, possibly. But these are minor details really when you consider the amazing scenery.

One hundred miles and three hours later found me in the High Country of Arizona which was mind bogglingly beautiful. One word of warning: in Arizona the idiots that mark the highways DO NOT LABEL right turn lanes as such. They look amazing like any regular old lane in which moving vans can pull over for people to pass. Not that this is a problem, but when the road ends unexpectedly in the dark, in does a number on your nerves.

Luckily, I had quit shaking by the time I reached New Mexico. I topped a hill late late that night to find beautiful Albuquerque, nestled in the foothills and a welcomed twinkling sight after the tough day. I stayed at a Best Western which by my calculations was both "western" and "best."

I rested up for the night and prepared for Day Three: a trek across parts of four states..in one day.

TO BE CONTINUED...

That's the story of my life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

www.coolcounters.net